Superfast Berkshire Phase 3
The Superfast Berkshire project is now developing Phase 3 of the broadband improvement initiative aimed at achieving superfast broadband coverage of at least 97% in each of the six Berkshire local authority districts.
Public funding of £4.2m will be applied in Berkshire during phase 3, made up of;
a) Funding that could not be used under Phase 2 contracts that will be re-applied to Reading and Wokingham respectively:
- £382,500 from Reading Borough Council and BDUK
- £615,000 from Wokingham Borough Council, Thames Valley Berkshire Local Enterprise Partnership and BDUK
b) Funding of £3.2m released from our Phase 1 contract due to underspend on planned delivery and our share in revenue from take-up of service on the 120 cabinets deployed. This funding will be applied to all Berkshire districts.
The following progress has been made on Phase 3 activities so far:
- Agreement on the allocation of funding and the procurement process to secure broadband improvement solutions
- Initial engagement with suppliers on our plans, requirements and opportunities
- Publication of the Open Market Review to Telecom providers on 7th June 2016
- Publication of the State Aid Public Consultation that closed on 28th October 2016
- Analysis and consolidation of the Intervention Area for the Invitation To Tender (ITT) was completed in December 2017
- The OJEU contract notice, ITT and draft contract documentation was issued on 8th February 2017
- Initial bids from suppliers are expected to be received at the end of April with final bids due by early June
- Following detailed evaluation, contract finalisation and BDUK approval we hope to issue contracts at the end of July.
- We anticipate the delivery of additional superfast broadband coverage between 2017 - 2019
Although progress has been slower than we would like, it is important that we have accurate data from suppliers on their existing and planned coverage. We also continue to engage with suppliers about the expansion of their networks across Berkshire under their own commercial plans.
Further information about the State Aid process and published documentation under Phase 1 and 2 is available here.
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.